"Cap Job" questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Cap Job" questions

Post by T Moore on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm

First, I'm a newbee so please be patient. I've got an old EMUD Senior Rekord 60 from the early 60's. It is one of the old table top AM/FM/SW/Tape/Phono (all mono) units. It belonged to my dad who died in 1965 when I was 6 years old. I have found a very basic schematic for the unit online. The unit does power up and I do get some decent audio and quite a few AM and FM stations. I know the unit needs a cap job and that's the topic of my question. Is there a general rule of thumb that can applied to which capacitors need to be replaced in a capacitor replacement job? Any information would be appreciated.

T Moore

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: "Cap Job" questions

Post by Motorola man on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:53 pm

The most important caps to replace are the electrolytics, followed closely by paper / wax caps. I don't recommend plugging it in until at least the electrolytics have been replaced. It may seem to work fine now, but 50 year old caps are a ticking time bomb. If they short out then you will have much bigger problems. Let us know if you have any questions about how to do this & post pictures.
Dave
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top