What do y'all think?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do y'all think?

Post by Motorola man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Greetings all. I've been closely watching a Zenith console that's up for sale & I'm wondering if it's worth the asking price. I've only seen a few fuzzy pictures of the cabinet, but it appears to be an 8-S-463. Looks clean and well cared for. I've asked the owner for some better pictures & a few of the chassis, I'm just waiting on a response. If this console is complete and in decent shape, do y'all think it's worth the $189 asking price? I know that the black dial Zeniths can fetch a pretty penny. I saw another one just like it listed at nearly $900, but as we all know some folks think that old radios are worth their weight in gold. I've never given any thought to buying a radio for over $50, so I have no clue of what it may actually be worth. Thanks in advance for the advise!
Dave
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: What do y'all think?

Post by Electronhammer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:52 pm

If it is a radio that you really want, then go for it. Especially if you think you could double your $$ or more later if you decide to sell it. I've spent $90 on a radio I really wanted. In my case, I don't think I will ever get more than what I paid for it, but I wanted it. So I treated my self to it. Anyway, I say go for it as long as it is everything is there and you think you can bring it back to it's former glory. Very Happy
Electronhammer

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 pm

I've always wanted one of these but I want to make sure that I'm not getting ripped off. I just got the thumbs up from my wonderful wife, so pending additional information and guidance, I may just go for it. I'm not interested in flipping radios, everything I buy is for my own collection. I guess that I'll need to either stop buying, or get a bigger house... it's getting a little crowded in here. Very Happy
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Electronhammer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Too many radios is never a problem IMO. Did you ever finish up the Air Castle 932 project you were working on?
Electronhammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:46 pm

Not yet. My schedule and the weather have been conspiring against me for several months now. Gonna try to hit a couple of swap meets & see if I can dig up an original transformer, or even a close substitute. I've been holding off on doing anything with the electronics until I can get the xformer. Still need a few more coats of lacquer to find they're way to the cabinet.
Dave
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Electronhammer on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 am

Something wrong with the old transformer?
Electronhammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:30 am

It was replaced at some point in time with a much higher voltage transformer, which was mounted seperately from the chassis. Whomever worked on it last didn't have a clue about what they were doing.
Back to the Zenith, the owner sent some pictures and a short video of the radio playing. Looks pretty good, and hasn't been too molested. I did notice that it is missing the push button tuning assembly, so I made a lower offer. I'm sure that it will be next to impossible to find a replacement, but it's not a deal breaker. Since there are no decent AM stations around here, I don't really need presets. Still welcome everyone's input before I take the plunge into buying it.
Dave
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:33 pm

I say go for it ! I paid 50.00 For one about a month ago. A woman was selling some tubes on craigslist and she also wanted to "get rid of an old zenith" I talked her down from 100.00 and after replacing the electros and the eye tube it worked great! Of course I replaced other caps after getting her up and running, and it is my best radio so far. I love the glow from the eye tube! My friend has the same 8-s-463 as I do and he spent 130.00 for his.He might have the tuning part you need I will check for you.Doug
fixinmyphono

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks Doug. I'm picking it up Saturday, so we'll see what all it needs. It does work so that's a big plus. I'm really looking forward to getting it. I'm planning on making it my daily driver. I'll get some photos posted this weekend.
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Do you need the cover with the buttons or the inside assembly or both?
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:51 pm

The buttons appear to still be there. I've only seen a few dark & blurry pictures, but I can see that the internal assembly is gone and the wiring for it is just hanging loose. I'll have to take a close look at in person to know for sure what all is missing.
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Electronhammer on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:04 am

Have fun Saturday. I can't wait to see pics of your soon to be new acquisition. I think it will be an awesome addition to your collection. Cool
Electronhammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:26 pm

Got my new Zenith today, it's in better shape than I expected. The push button tuner is still in place, it was just disconnected & I couldn't see it in the photos the seller sent me. The only thing that I see is missing is one of the chassis springs. Finish is in great shape for its age. Looking forward to restoring it.
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Looks terrible you should send it to me (laughing). It actually looks great and I have one of those springs for you.I got some in an e-bay auction with some other stuf I needed for my Zenith A-802 Pm me with your addy and I'll send it out to you.If you replace the dial belt let me know I found an easier way to do it than taking the shafts inside apart! Watch out when replacing the resistor in the eye tube. The socket on mine fell apart took awhile to figure out where all the wires went back in.The little 1 meg resistor is in a tight spot in there but should most likely need replacing.Let me know if you need any help cause I just rebuilt two of them. Doug
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by Electronhammer on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Awesome find! She's beautiful. Have fun.
Electronhammer

Back to top Go down

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 am

I have that same exact one However I am reluctent to finish it because of all the croded rubber wireing and a few cap problem I like to finish it But do not have the $$ time is ok but I am Kicking myself I could purchased the same one for $8 at the swap meet excellent conditio0n guy just purchased it for the chassis needless tio say i am an A$$ for not Asking the seller. Sad
antiqueradiobuff

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Same what? Got any pictures?
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Status of your newly aquired Zenith

Post by Electronhammer on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey Motorola man, you do anything with your new Zenith? What's the status?
Electronhammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:03 pm

I gutted it and cleaned everything Monday night, but nothing beyond that yet. I started digging through the schematic & found a few descrepencies between it & my radio. It looks like I may have a different production run. I've found that it's had a few minor repairs over the years, but the parts in question look like factory originals. I need to put together a shopping list for this radio & a few others. I'm not really in a huge rush because once it's done, I'll have to make some room at the house for it.
Dave
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Electronhammer on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Well have fun and post some pics when you can. I would personally like to see the chassis. I someday want a nice Zenith. I have a little table top Zenith, battery operated which needs to be finished, but I decided that I wanted to finish my 6T Motorola first since this is its 75th anniversary. One of my favorite Zenith radios is a 6-S-222 "Cube radio" http://www.tuberadioland.com/images/zen6s222_1.gif
Electronhammer

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:06 pm

How's the radio coming along Dave?
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 pm

I've replaced a few rotted wires, but other than that, no progress. I have a few other projects in the works that need to get done first. This evening I converted an AA5 into an AM transmitter, which will be used to broadcast to the Zenith.
Dave
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Dave,
I bought one of these 3 yrs ago from a lady, cabinet was in great shape, missing the small on/off knob. I paid $100 and for me it was worth it. Spotless original finish was what caught my eye first.
Found the knob, it wasn't too white (like some repros) and matched the originals.
I have not recapped yet, but it will play as I did power it up on a Variac.
Someone installed a shoelace for the dial belt! No wonder it was slipping. There is the rotting rubber wire which is not hard to do, just time consuming.

Chassis has the original Zenith paper caps, which I will restuff.
The rubber insulation is usually a deal breaker on these sets, but if you take your time and don't take shortcuts (shrink tubing/ rubber coatings) it will be well worth your time. I mean, there are only so many wires to replace, and one by one they will get done.
Good luck on your set. From what I heard in my short powerup, the thing will sound great!
Take care.

Last edited by GaryRabbitt on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:59 pm

I agree mine plays great and pulls in alot of foreign stations!
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:25 am

Yup, generally the Zeniths are great performers on most all bands. With a 10ft antenna, I can pull in a lot of foreign stations, and some great broadcast band DX at night.
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum