New guy here :-)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New guy here :-)

Post by mbohara on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:41 am

Hi everyone.

My name is Mike and my hobby is restoring antique electronics, like most of you here, but I restore them to modern day functionality. My most recent project was an Airline 05GSE-3042 Table Top TV. What I do is gut the electronics, refinish the cabinet and then I replace the original electronics with a High Def LCD flat panel. This way the furniture maintains it's original estetic while providing modern day functionality. I do this somewhat with radios and turntables as well. This hobby though leaves me in a jam and that is I have left over original TV chasis. Right now I have the chasis for the above mentioned Airline and 2 Dumont chasis. All 3 power on and you get a screen glow. I am looking for a home for these as I hate to throw them away. I am offering them for a modest price (I mean beer money modest (well maybe not beer but varnish LOL)). I am located in Northern NJ and if anyone is interested please let me know. Also the above mentioned Airline is currently being offered. I have attached pictures of the Airline but my true hope is to find a home for these chasis (lots of tubes here).

I also need to find someone who can recreate radio knobs and bevills (is that spelled correctly ?) for a 1936 Silvertone Radio.

My current projects include, but are not limited to, a 1950 CobraMatic Zenith Bakelite Radio Turntable, a circa 1939 Emerson Tabletop radio, and 2 early 50's Dumont TV's.

If anyone is interseted in seeing the 1951 05GSE-3042 Airline TV it is up on Ebay now.

I hope to get to know you all well.

Mike O

mbohara

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-02-19

Back to top Go down

Re: New guy here :-)

Post by Electronhammer on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Welcome to TRF.
Electronhammer

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Welcome to TRF, but, why gutt perfectly good radios, and, tv's?
They perform quite well when properly restored.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4615
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Yes Its understandable to maintain the originality of a look. But wouldn't it be cheaper just to get a digital converter rather than replace the gut's? However Saving the furniture is a good method and replacing the insides is one way to make the sets usable again.

I have a question on your restorations. What do you do with the crappy sound that most new TVs Have? Invest in a digital sound system too? Or can you add regular speakers to replace the tiny ones in the TV?

As far as knobs go there are some suppliers on the web.
One other note. One understood rule and I may be wrong but if you want to sell on our forum, Post your radio or TVs here on our Swap Meet forum, with a selling price, not redirect to Ebay.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 989

Back to top Go down

Post by mbohara on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. As for the Ebay this is a one off and just the most visible way go reach those outside of the antique community.

With respect to Mr Cahill's position on gutting I am attempting to keep the aesthetic beauty of the old radios and TV's. Let's face it people are not going to watch VHF or UHF in this age of digital broadcasting and Ipods. My way preserves the furniture and craftsmanship thereof while allowing real use.

Now to the last point, yes the sound on these new LCD TV's is not the greatest and that is why I recommend using a soundbar or surround sound system. I am currently working on restoring a Dumont RA-400 and I am replacing the speakers in the Dumont with a soundbar. I will post pictures when I am done.

Thanks all

Mike

mbohara

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:39 pm

Since when are vhf tv's not usable?
Perhaps you need to hear some truthful stories of how well manny of these old sets really perform???
I don't want this to become a bash thread. I stopped that at ARF. But, I do feel you need an education on just how well an old set can play...
Especially a good Dumont, or some of the Admirals.
RCA tv's were known for their high quality picture.
Have you ever seen a proper working 50's to early 60's color tv play? The beautiful true colors that they have?
Have you ever seen a restored 1947 Dumont tv play?
I suspect not. I urge you to ask others in both forums to show you how well. I guarantee you will see pictures, and, receive links to you tube showing them playing once restored.
Yes. Saving cabinets is a good thing. There are sets not worth saving.
However your claim that nobody watches these sets anymore is a false one.
I know of people whose enjoyment is in watching their vintage tv's.
They may not be hd, but, they do very well.
I certainly am not ashamed to watch my antiques.
Please don't think no one watches "that old stuff" anymore.
When the hd tv's are in the dump, many old tv's will still be preserved.
Thank you.
Bill Cahill
Remember, this is not a bash thread, and, I won't allow bashing. But, I do feel you need a good education on just what a good vintage tv can do......

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Agreed! Preservation the whole unit is by far the better option. You wouldn't put a modern Japanees engine into a restored '57 Chevy would you? Sure it may be more efficient, maybe even more powerful, but you would be ruining a piece of history and for little to no appeal. Collectors don't want modernized antiques, generally the more original it is, the more valuable it it. In addition, antique electronics were built like tanks. Properly restored they'll be around LONG after you've replaced that flat screen several times. Please reconsider your "restorations". If you must create hybrids, there are plenty of empty cabinets out there that you can pick up for a song.
Dave
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mbohara on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks for the post. I did not take it as bashing just a difference of opinion and to each his own. At least we are both trying to preserve history. Though my approach differs from yours I respect what you do and ask the same of you. All that aside the good thing for you is that I do not throw away the components that I replace and if you ever have a need for a picture tube or any other part please feel free to let me know as I may have what you are looking for.

Just today I looked at a 1952 Magnavox American. The cabinet was in really rough shape (beyond salvation) but the face plate is gorgeous and the components are all there. If this is something you are interested in I will be happy to share (the gentleman just wants the TV to find a nice home).

Any way I am sure we have common ground.

mbohara

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:06 am

Sorry, but, in plain terms, I can't agree.
We are dedicated to saving vintage electronics as a part of technical history. These sets work amazingly well.
All you are doing is selling a cabinet with a modern hd tv which I guarantee won't hold up.
I'm not saying the old ones don't break down, they do.
The difference is they are repairable, which the new sets aren't.
Also, the vintage sets were made in USA with parts mostly made in USA.
The hd sets are made in China. Where's the history in that?
I'm sorry, but, it is wrong to dismantle a restorable antique to modernize it.
Bill Cahill
Would you take a perfect 1958 classic car that was running, remove the engine, and, put in a modern energy efficient honda engine, that may be more powerful, but, this would actually dimminish the value of the car? Let alone ruine the originality?
B C

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:37 pm

I have done this only a few times. Those times were when I had a great cabinet and no chassis. Most of the time I retrofitted another tube chassis that I had without a case. I am with Bill on not doing this to one with a chassis. To me to take new electronics and put it in a old cabinet is like taking the Mona Lisa and pasting the kid from Mad Magazine,Alfred E. Newman over her face. Yes its a a piece of art,updated but to me the beauty is gone. I belong to another group on old ford trucks. I have seen these trucks go for a lot but once someone puts in a chevy or other engine its hard to sell. If you do continue to do this please save the parts and let someone have them that can use them. To each their own but I like to see them redone the way they were made. Now if its a old cabinet with no guts that's a different story.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1429
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum