western auto d924c

Go down

western auto d924c

Post by gbernerjr on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:20 pm

I have a Western Auto D924C console radio. The speaker was removed at some point. The radio turns on and all the tubes light up. I would like to at least see if the radio works. What would be the easiest way to connect a speaker to it? There is a 6 socket connector on the reciever for the speaker plug. I would be interested in your suggestions on having a speaker made for this, or finding one that I can use. Thanks

gbernerjr

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

Re: western auto d924c

Post by gbernerjr on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:34 pm

I can post pictures if no one is familiar with this radio. I didn't find any pics online so I dont know how common this model is.

gbernerjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:50 pm

If its a 6 pin socket speaker you will need to find an electromagnetic speaker, probably with the audio transformer mounted on the speaker and it looks it has a hum bucking coil. Riders Schematics - manual page 13-17 (PDF page #1389) and page 13-34 (PDF page 1408). Don't turn on the radio anymore till you replace the power supply capacitors. After you get a compatable speaker then use either a dim bulb tester or a variac to make sure the power transformer isn't shot.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by gbernerjr on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 pm

ok thank you.. I will work on replacing the power supply capacitors. would you have any suggestion on where to find a electromagnetic speaker?

gbernerjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfred Corbin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:15 am

If you simply want to find ot if the set works, you don't need an electrodynamic speaker. In place of the speaker field coil, tack a 1000 ohm, 5 watt resistor between pins 1 and 6 of the speaker socket, or just stick the leads in the socket if the chassis end of the cable is female.

Remove one of the 6AC5 output tubes and hang an output transformer between the plate of the remaining 6AC5 and B+. At the secondary of the transformer, hang any PM speaker.

What you will have is a single-ended (not push-pull) output stage. This should sound decent if the set is working, maybe a little distorted.

The suggestions about replacing at least the filter condensers are good, too.

Alfred Corbin

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Mr Corbin is completely right! His expertize is well documented and He has a book that He sells that would be profitable for you, if your just getting into repairing radios. I have His book and its very down to earth. Wink
The Title is: A Modern look at Antique Radio Repair 3rd Edition.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down