Krystallo on Board

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Krystallo on Board

Post by krystallo on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:42 am

Hey All. I am located in Boston,MA.

I hang on Rap 'n Tap, Dave Schmarder's Radioboard , a bit of ARF and a bit of LWCA (when it comes back up).

BIG into crystal radios ,longwave/ "natural radio" and AM dxing. Used to be into SW DXing ,SW utility Dxing,but not so much now. Also used to do ham ( 2m AM, FM, SSB, 220 FM, 440 FM and 1290 FM-all mostly simplex ,but some repeater work too). All ham gear long gone except one dinosaur untoned Icom 2at and a Moto w/ a few UHF frqs. I might get back into it some day. A few false starts w/ morse but no follow through.Also maybe some day,it's a great mode!

Local RF noise can be bad here, at least at times . So it limits some of the fine weak signal work I have done in the past at better locations in the 'burbs.A lot of times S-7 is as low as I can copy,sometimes my noise is upto +30! For really good work , I gotta leave the city and set up on Dxpedition somewhere hot and quiet( using lots of $3.50 ga$$$). I have a 75 ft long wire 15 ft above a flat apt roof w/ 13.8 Kv 20 ft out on TWO sides of me.Big ham antennas outside are a NO GO here. I was LUCKY just to get my longwire up. I do have a top of the roof stairs wooden penthouse that I probably could use now ,but haven't put anything up there for a while.It's just 6 ft or so high though.

Current gear here is an Icom R-70 general coverage, a RS police scanner, two RS hand held scanners,a hopped up Panasonic DX set ,a home brew 7 KC "natural radio"/"whistler" "receiver" (as a totally passive set up or w / a preamp and two stages of Graphic Eq filtering), a signal generator, an AM B'cast transmitter (600 KC and up), and a currently unused RS DX -160.

In my basement shop is a ton of parts,stored sets and junk.

I like especially like 1920's stuff .

I have a medium sized collection of sets ie 1920's xtal sets, homebrews /my reproductions, etc,etc.

Other hobbies. I used to fly light aircraft,but it was a long time ago.

Also into meteorology ( I used to work as volunteer at a 125 year old weather / climate research station).

Into most natural phenomena, "easy "/ " close in" astronomy,Earth stuff, etc.

Also I do a bit of archaeology , especially related to my Native American studies ( I will not dig in burials though).

Into VERY early wireless too.

Also a bit into the through the "ground"/Earth communications systems .

I also garden,my specialty is unusual types of tomatoes.

I did 4 years in the USAF (including some special unit support activities), 3 years in the Army (including an NSA support posting at one of their installations) and three years in the MA ANG (including intelligence support activities). IMHO, the military was really hot and cold. You got to play with some really neat toys in some really cool places .But the politics could be brutal. The work load varied quite a bit- one week it was light work and TV, the next two weeks could be nothing but 16 hour day back breaking war games or heavy flying.
Overall, I'm glad I did it though. But all my time in was BEFORE 911. It's a different world now!

de K

krystallo

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Krystallo on Board

Post by geno on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:46 am

Welcome!!! Glad to 'see' ya.

Gene

geno

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Uffda on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:41 pm

Nice to have another early battery set fan. Welcome aboard.

-Phil

Uffda

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tallboy on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi K--

it seems we frequent the same places--really glad you're here

i'll use K's topic to introduce myself--
i am "tallboy", otherwise known as jerry--i am an amateur radio operator--former army security agency CW intercept op(40 years ago now)

like surfing the web, just following my note discovering interesting things--enjoy playing with crystal radios; dxing and listening--still work CW on the ham bands; although most of my hamming involves just eavesdropping on others using my old DRAKE 2B receiver--hope to begin to do some selective collecting of gray whiskered radios someday soon--

other interests are some birdwatching, hiking, and very shallow studies in archeology, anthropology, and an even shallower interest in etymology and the origin of english phrases------a PERFECTLY boring life<smile>

best to all, and hello
tallboy

tallboy

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by krystallo on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:19 am

Hey Tall and All, Thanks you kindly.
K

krystallo

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by ddelby82128 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Do you like the First Lady tomato?

ddelby82128

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Welcome to TRF!
Tony V

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:08 am

Welcome to TRF Glad to see you joined us Enjoy
antiqueradiobuff

Number of posts : 178

Back to top Go down

Post by tube radio on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Welcome to the forum

tube radio

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun May 12, 2013 6:51 pm

Hey, Guys, haven't seen you here in quite awhile. Come on back, and, see the changes.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4614

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top