New member from northern NJ

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New member from northern NJ

Post by VacuumTubeCowboy on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Howdy,

This is probably long overdue, but I guess that old rule "better late than never" applies nonetheless.
I'm 28 (about to be 29yrs) with a simple background in electronics. As of late I've really taken to antiquing (in general) and collecting vintage tube technology. My friends are buyers and sellers or 'pickers' of all things vintage or collectable and help fuel my expensive and likely unhealthy need for more.

I couldn't tell you how many TV and radio tubes I've acquired in the last 2 years, but the boxes and shelves seem to hold endless potential. I joined up here because I have a number of radios (probably nothing too fancy) that I'd like to restore or renew and it's been a while since I've dabbled in the electronics field.

One of my side-projects is converting a 1990's Sony Trinitron (15"?) into a pedestal/barber-pole style Philco Predicta. At this point I need to refill my oxyacetylene tank to continue welding the stand and picture tube frame. On a smaller scale, I've begun a similar project with a portable 5" B&W TV. The circuitry is encased in a cigar box and I'm 'sculpting' the picture tube skin. C'mon, who wouldn't love a working Mini Predicta on their desk?!

I expect I'll need tips or pointers when replacing and identifying components, and hope to learn a great deal here. Currently I'm looking to begin designing a simple enclosure for a desktop radio who's original casing was helplessly mangled beyond repair. I plan to recap and relocate the tubes to an exposed or at least visible location; possibly behind a mesh grille. BTW, if anyone is a member of the NJARC, I've been meaning to submit my membership form in for a while now..

Regards,
Jonathan
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
VacuumTubeCowboy

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: New member from northern NJ

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Welcome to the forums.
Please see pictures of your collection.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Welcome to TRF!
Tony V

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by VacuumTubeCowboy on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks guys, I will most certainly take some time to grab pictures and identify the radios I know. One on my desk right now is a Crosley 515 (been played with before I got it), missing cabinet and serial number plate.
VacuumTubeCowboy

Back to top Go down

Post by VacuumTubeCowboy on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:39 pm

I went ahead and uploaded a bunch of photos I've taken over the past year or so of items in my collection. This is certainly not everything, but I'll update y'all as I add more to the photo set on Flickr. Many more Bakelite and [larger] wood-cabinet radios, as well as some test equipment and signal generators haven't been photographed yet. Enjoy!
A few thumbnails to wet your appetite:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Jonathan

Last edited by VacuumTubeCowboy on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added a few more photos..)
VacuumTubeCowboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top