Philco 20: control of volume

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Philco 20: control of volume

Post by Brig on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:12 pm

My fully restored Philco 20 has a problem re control of volume (not re the volume control, which is NOS and of the correct dual resistances). I can't lower the volume enough; with the volume control in full closed position the sound is still loud enough to hear comfortably and advancing it produces too much volume, a problem especially bothersome when listening to strong stations. I'm wide open for troubleshooting/repairing suggestions and thank all replies in advance.

Brig

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Philco 20: control of volume

Post by sprman on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:25 pm

Could be its wired wrong,or wrong voltage on it ie to hi.Check audio tube voltages,and resistanes.Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Without seeing the wiring it's difficult to diagnose, but as was stated you may have the wires connected wrong on the volume control. The volume control is connected to the antenna as a gain control. The other is in the rectifier plate circuit.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by magicclocks on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:34 pm

I've had the same problem with a emerson untill I opened up the pot by prying the small tabs open and seperating as much as I could and took some very fine sand paper and cleaned the tiny disk that rotates around making contact with the large circular plate dont sand the plate just the moving part spraying electroclean through the little access area almost never works you have to make physical contact

magicclocks

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:29 pm

I don't think even fine sandpaper would be good, My personal Idea would be to use either a wooden toothpick, or a small piece of paper. The wood or paper in itself is abrasive. You can use a small strip of paper, positioned under the wiper (or small disk as you say) and spray a little cleaner on the paper. Rotate the volume control several times back and fourth to polish and clean the contact. I would be very careful cleaning the resistive circular strip, as it has a very thin layer of carbon on it, and any abrasive would destroy that very quickly. One Idea would be to make and use what is called a tortillon, it is just a strip of paper rolled into the shape of a pencil point. Its main use in art is to rub pencil marks on pencil drawings to blend. It is abrasive but not aggressive. You could use that for cleaning the resistive track. Just a suggestion though.
I have even used paper strips in cleaning gold contacts at work, and turret tuners for old TVs.
I used to get wooden Q Tips and use the cotton tips for cleaning and then strip off the cotton and use the stick as a burnishing tool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortillon
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top