GE MODEL 414 POWERS UP BUT NO SOUND

Go down

GE MODEL 414 POWERS UP BUT NO SOUND

Post by bjstone on Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:26 pm

I picked this radio up yesterday at a yard sale for $1.00. When I plugged it in all the tubes lit up (although one (the smallest one)looks dim)), but there is no sound. Not even a bit of static. I took the radio apart and cleaned up the cabinet and dial plate, made sure the speaker connections were tight, and used a bit of wd-40 to loosen up the tuning knobs. Everything else looked to be in order although I did notice two small wax drops on the bottom metal sheeting. Appearently, where it's been stored in a hot closet or attic some time. I really didn't expect it to work because I've played with old tube radios for a few years, but I was surprised at no sound at all. Any ideas where to start on fixing it? Thanks in advance.
Bill

bjstone

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: GE MODEL 414 POWERS UP BUT NO SOUND

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:26 pm

You need to check for B+
And that the tubes are in the right order.
If those check OK then do a check of the audio section. Start with the speaker coil first, then the speaker field coil. if they are OK, then touch your finger to the volume control and see if you get a buzz, if you do then you need to start testing each stage backward.

If you get no B+ then the power supply needs checking.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bjstone on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks, I was looking closer at the speaker and the middle section appears to be missing. So, I'll start by trying another speaker I guess. How do I check for B+? All I know is it has something to do with voltage.
Thanks for your help.

Bill

bjstone

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:11 pm

See if you get DC voltage across C15A 50MFD cap. One lead on the positive (+) side and the other on the (-) negative side. you should read about 112Volts. On pin #7 of the tube 50C5 you should read about 105 Volts to the same negative lead on the capacitor C15A. If no voltage on that point, then turn the radio off and unplug I would suspect the audio output transformer being open, it should read (measure)285 ohms on the primary (red and blue Leads) (out of circuit). Also check (out of circuit). C14 .02MFD for a short. (0)ohms. If good it should show infinity ohms or some meter movement from zero ohms and go to infinity ohms slowly. Check for bad solder joints also. Please be careful when measuring those voltages, they can kill you.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:02 pm

+1 for safety. Your radio is an AC/DC radio and has the potential of having your 120V AC setting on the chassis and any other metal parts. Even with the radio turned off! Always unplug the radio when setting up to due measurements. I will not work on that type of radio without using an "isolation" transformer in the line. That transformer will also help protect any test equipment you might be using that is also AC powered. Don't touch that radio chassis if the radio is plugged in. This is why these types of radios had backs on them to keep little fingers from reaching in.
Stay safe.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum