Webcor model 123 Jubilee from 1953

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Webcor model 123 Jubilee from 1953

Post by fixinmyphono on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Hi Folks I am new to the hobby.Hope to learn and enjoy all I can from it,and maybe help others along the way if I can.Well I bought an old webcor model 123 phono at a flea market and love it! I took it home looked it over inside and out to make sure nothing was out of place(broken wires and such) and plugged it in.The turntable spun and the sound was very low.So I checked the needle tapped the cartridge a few times and more sound came out.Also the volume was scratchy so I kept working it till it got better (some).I figured it needed cleaning inside so I sprayed some electric cleaner I use from work in it made sure after turning it back and forth and that it was finally dry and when I turned it on volume was fixed! Also I ordered a new cartridge for it and photo-fact. It still has a hum in it though I have done some research and it seems it may be a tube gone bad (it has but 3)and one seems to be blackened on one side(bad perhaps?)I think I will replace perhaps all 3 as they are not expensive with nos, and see if this fixes the hum .Does this seem like a good way to start ? Ty Doug
fixinmyphono

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Webcor model 123 Jubilee from 1953

Post by Motorola man on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Before you start replacing tubes, replace the electrolytic and paper capacitors. They almost always change value over the years, so it's a good practice to replace them right out of the shoot. Most of the time replacing the caps will cure the hum problem. It's normal for some tubes to have black spots in them so yours may be fine. If the tubes aren't too expensive it's not a bad idea to have some replacements on hand for the just in cases. While you're working on it, go ahead & clean off as much of the old grease from the mechanical parts as you can and then relubricate them. The old grease tends to gum up & cause everything to slow down. I use clear sewing machine grease on mine, it's cheap & you can find it at any craft store. Good luck on your restoration. Keep us posted on your progress, and don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need to. There are a lot of very knowledgable folks here that are always glad help out.
-Dave
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Ok thanks. Ill look into the capacitors and start the cleaning process this weekend,Will try to post some pics soon too thanks! Doug
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:41 pm

I know that you said you ordered a photo-fact, but you can find a decent looking free schematic for your phono on this site. http://www.webster-chicago.com/123sch.jpg
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:54 pm

Wow thank you looks great now I need to read and understand what it says.Doug
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by repairtech on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:47 am

Replace that 12AT6 with a 12AV6 and you'll get a nice boost in gain.

repairtech

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:40 pm

found this video on youtube of a model thats almost the same as mine
type in 1952 WEBCOR MODEL # 123 F RECORD PLAYER .. SOME SWEET DAY .. LOUIS ARMSTRONG
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:41 pm

or try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhHKvJi-nyM&feature=channel_video_title
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Bought a new spindle works great! New 45 adaptor is on the way.Bought all new caps and resistors with some help decipering the language of this new hobby by Bill Cahill thanks Bill! Also the 3 tubes it has will be shipped soon, one is on backorder. The nos cartridge came, looks good, will put it on last so it doesnt get messed up when restoring the insides.I want this to be as new as I can make it while also eliminating that hum.The outside cleaned up well and with a coat of turtle wax really sparkles now! The grill cloth is clean and looks like new.
So I'm getting there one step at a time.Thank you all Doug
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Eight capacitors and eight resistors later..The hum is gone!!!! I kinda miss it.Well maybe not.So now with a new cartridge it sounds great.Three tubes are on backorder so this machine will be as new once more.The Platters never sounded so good!
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by steve72 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:03 am

Hey congratulations, that's a good looking unit. That's the one on your avatar, right? Hey, I've seen some listings on Ebay where you can buy several of this kind of tube for a few bucks. I'm thinking about stocking up.
steve72

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:45 am

Do you have a tube tester? Not all tubes go bad. A good mutual conductance tube tester, such as heathkit, hickock, or, Eico wil help.
They are not a guarantee the tubes are good, but, they do help.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4585
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:28 pm

No tube tester as of yet its on my list of things to get.
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

webcor restoration

Post by fixinmyphono on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

before and after Everything sets in a metal box (cover is off) and the large capacitors sit in a clip to keep them from moving around.Eight capacitors and eight resistors in all.
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Great job Doug! I'd love to see a few more photos. BTW, now that you've got your first one done... you are aware that restoring old radios is an addiction, right? Like the rest of us, you'll now be looking through every yard sale, thrift store & antique mall for your next fix. It's like crack, or Lay's potato chips... you can't have just one. Very Happy
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Yes today at a flea market I saw some radios but not to my liking I did however pickup some mills brothers and andrews sisters records to play on it they sound great. Monday hopefully Ill be picking up a period style record table for it . here it is below.Thanks for the kind words Doug
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Throat on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Those Webcor's are very nice, and unusual, I have owned three Webcor Holiday Phonographs and one Musicale, Both were exceptionally nice units,

-Nolan

Golden Throat

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Yes I like them alot got a webcor concerto coming in the mail this week never seen one before...Doug
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top