Hi all

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi all

Post by smeagoluk on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:45 am

Hi all from near London in the UK and have a love for those 30's American art deco sets.Currently i'm looking for one and would like to know the best set to go for (looks and function) preferably a large console set.Where to look?How much i should be paying for a good working set ?and how to get it home to the Uk. My main love is Jazz 78's and old equipment that i can get the best sound from currently i'm using Goldring Lenco GL55 decks to Dj with using my 78 collection but will eventually look for something more period for home.In the meantime ideas ,advice and Suggestions please. I am a total Newbie so need all the help i can get from more Expierienced members of the group............Paul

smeagoluk

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi all

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:09 pm

Welcome to the forums. First, shipping, especially consoles, is going to be expensive. When you get it, it will need to be properly gone over, and, restored to make it safe for use...
Personally, I have a GE J-805 art deco console I enjoy alot. Zenith, and, several other compannies made several art deco consoles that are equally nice.
Again, they will need to be properly gone over. New caps, electrolytics, wirring , etc.....
Most of the companies were using rubber coated wiring that is often rotted, and, bare. That means short circuits, or, at least, good possibility of short circuits.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by smeagoluk on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi Bill all i really need to do is get it to NJ,i have a mate who ships hotrods and parts to the uk. I would really like to get one thats pretty much done however i know thats going to be pretty expensive too. Also if i can pay $1000 for a 78 rpm jazz record then i suppose a console radio would cost a little less.It's not really a cost issue it's the right radio issue.

smeagoluk

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum