Butchered up radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Butchered up radio

Post by Doug Burskey on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:08 pm

Has anyone ever got a vintage radio that looked good on the outside but underneath the chassis was torn up so bad from someone who didn't know what the *#&%!! they were doing or from so many repairs or modifications over it's lifetime? But with a some TLC you got it back to fine working condition and now it's the pride of your collection.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Butchered up radio

Post by Motorola man on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:03 pm

I was given an Air Castle a few weeks ago. Although I haven't pulled the chassis out, I can see that the power transformer has been replaced, the electolytic can has been removed and the hole covered with sheet metal, one of the tubes has been subbed and the original speaker is laying inside the cabinet with a PM speaker wired parallel. The cabinet is good shape and still has the original finish, but I'm afraid of what lies under the chassis. I've got a few other radios that are in line for restoration before I can get to this one.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:08 pm

As a matter of fact, my Emerson Bakelite 1937 radio was butchered like that. Wires hanging out everywhere.
I also have a very rare wood table set form 1937? where the power transformer was toast. It had actually ben on fire.
I'm still working on that one, and, plan on finnishing the Emerson.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4548
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:13 am

Been there,done that, got the battle wounds to prove it. I have seen quite a few of those. One time years ago when I was in radio repair before this lady brought me one. I had a policy I didn't work on any for dealers,pickers,etc. It took too much time to fix them and I made very little for someone to make all the money besides me. I always explained that to anyone who brought me one. Then at that time there was no internet for the most part so it may take a year or more to find some parts. Anyway she brought one someone had been through it. It took some time and aggravation to get it going. she came and got it and had another one in the same butchered condition. A few weeks after this I saw the first one in a antque mall with her name on it for sell. I called her up and told her to get the second one. I confronted her and she came up with some story of how she wanted the second one more, yeah right.

About the same time I started helping, completely doing all the work is more like it for someone getting into collecting. I explained the time and how long it took. He brought one over then the next day called. He became a leech and I even took parts out of a radio I wanted to get going to fix his to get rid of one of the radios he brought over. Due to these two people I got burned out on radios then. I began to build my house and started working on computers on the side as well. So that got me out of radios until today.

Then one time this old guy I knew called me and asked if I wanted a truckload of parts. I said yes and it was a pickup bed of parts. I went over and saw a fada bullet he had been using for parts. I put it up front of my cab. I wound up rebuilding it completely. I still have it. I have seen a lot of ones that people have butchered. But when you get these and work on them that makes you get better at fixing them. One reason I have got to the level of skills I have now has been due to fixing things others couldn't or didn't want to.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1402
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by pawpawhunt on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 pm

I found a 1931 crosley "buddy Boy" I wanted real bad, the out side looked great but (and there is allways a but) the inside was a desaster. All the coils had to be rewound and the speaker had to be reconed, the power transformer was burned out, the tunning cap had rat pee all in it, took me the better part of a year to get it going and I was the prowed owener of a "Buddy Boy" sure was a fun project. and it still plays after 14 years!

pawpawhunt

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:16 pm

I did one radio like that it was BA(military) radio took forever to get it right .Was so chopped up ,but i took my time and got it working fine after many hours of work.Sprman : ) PS a friend bought it from me, still work to after 8 years!

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:48 pm

I have a Pye 762 like that.The cabnet was good aside from the finish but the insides were a mess.It had a bunch of junk for a phono pre-amp just hacked in as well as a replacement power transformer that is far too big.So big in fact that B+ was higher that the max voltage on the factory filter cap by 20 volts!I finally got it playing which was no small feat as i had no schematic to go by and it is one of my best radios but it has to be ran with 90-100 volts line voltage to keep the B+ low enough that it dosen't cause the out put tube to red plate.At some point i plan on replacing the power transformer with something of a reasonable size but untill then variac it is.

Nick
Nick666

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Why not just add a resistor to the ac sides of rectifiers? Or, even to output of rectifiers to first filter?
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4548
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Because i didn't have any power resistors left and i didn't want to pay shipping on another order just for some resistors. Laughing

Nick
Nick666

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top