philco 48-461

View previous topic View next topic Go down

philco 48-461

Post by bemerson on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:37 pm

I run a consignment/antique store in my hometown. I have a gentleman who brought in a 1948 Philco 48-461 tube radio. He is wanting to consign in my store, but I have no idea what the value of this radio. It is in beautiful shape, no scratches, etc. Any suggestions on what we should list this piece for?

bemerson

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-29

Back to top Go down

Re: philco 48-461

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi. These radios, while very nice looking, are very common, and, don't have anot of collector interest, therefore, not alot of value.
Hard to say. Area dependent.
Purely on guess, 10-25 dollars.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4537
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by John Maxson on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 am

Does it work? That will determine the price. They are good looking radios.

John Maxson

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:45 pm

If your an antique dealer don't you have any TRADE magazines that you can use as a guideline?

Most sellers have no Idea what the value is on old radios, but here's a guideline. If its a radio that doesn't work then the cellars the limit, if it works then the sky's the limit, if the buyer really wants it. Just don't plug it in or you may make it worthless. You ask why make that statement? Think of it this way, is it a Model T Ford? or is it a 1990s Toyota. You need to be an expert or have a blue-book. Would you start either one not knowing that it had no oil? If your answer is yes then ask a premium and hide the fact that it doesn't work. But if your honest do your home work and find out whats wrong with it. Are the wires crumbling apart, are the tubes all there?, does it have a burnt smell? Does it look like its untouched, or has someone done repairs to it?

Most small radios aren't worth the time of day to a collector, but may be of value to someone who remembers someone who had that radio. Just be flexible, and you may get a loyal buyer, if firm in your price and no bytes, then there is no market, and you either hoping that a sucker will part with His money since your playing on their ignorance.

I personally wouldn't support a antique store dealer in giving the value of radios, as they have no interest in the hobby, but just as a guide line, better quality finish, higher tube count, and brand name and model, make a big difference in prices. Catalin radios are ridiculous in there prices, Zeniths for the most part are also overpriced, Scott's and Mc Murdows are very highly sought after and command High prices.

I would agree with the previous poster on this though.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top