GE J-805

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GE J-805

Post by Kelly Coopwark on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:02 pm

My brother, cousin and I have been shifting around a GE J-805 cabinet radio from home to home since my grandmother died almost 20 years ago. I told my brother I was putting it in a garage sale this weekend unless he wanted it back. It has spent most of its time in basements since we cleaned out Nana's house. We all have very fond memories of sitting with Grandpa while he worked in his workshop and listening to the Tigers game. However, it will never be a piece of our decor so I would like to see it go to someone who would appreciate it. Bill it is an exact replica of the one you posted pictures of several years back.
Being the softy I am I promised my brother I would try one more time to find out more about value before I put it out. The cabinet is in very good condition, one little water stain on the top. The cardboard antenna cylinder is still intact. One knob and one push button are missing. Although it seems like I saw one or the other floating around in a junk drawer not too long ago. The radio still turns on and can be tuned in.

How do I determine the year it was made? It appears to still have all the labels and so forth. Is there a way to determine a fair value.

Is there somewhere in SE Michigan, NW Ohio, NE Indiana (only because they are close) that I should consider taking it to be sold?

Kelly Coopwark

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Re: GE J-805

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:50 pm

The problem with console radios is they are hard to sell due to cost of shipping. That also affects the value.
The radio is worth restoring, though, and, you'd be surprised of the fidelity of these sets.
There are periodically radio meets where you might be able to take, and, sell it, but, again, due to size, I doubt it will fetch much. Perhaps up to firty dollars, but, I'm not betting on that.
You could sell it on the Michigan Craig's list.
I listen to mine often. Mine is fully restored.
I wouldn't reccommend pluggig it in anymore as is.
Something could drastically fail, and, cause a catastrophy.
Even a fire.
I believe it was made about 1939.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4616
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Moving this post to Antique radios forum as this is a double post and deleting double post.

Here is another post on the same radio with details of repairs.
Click Here

Last edited by Resistance is Futile on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited for double posting and related topic reference)
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum