Failure!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Failure!

Post by nytuberadio on Tue May 31, 2011 10:44 am

Ok Ive checked the tubes. Replaced caps on my 6 Tube Motorola 62X13U. The tubes light up and she plays on a cold start for about 3 sec and then just fades into static crashes. The volumne cont seems to work. Touching the antenna with a screw driver does not produce audio. Finally the schematic calls for a 40-20-20 electrolyic but found only a 40-20 in set. I put the 20 in but it didnt fix the problem.

nytuberadio

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Failure!

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue May 31, 2011 8:13 pm

Start looking for cold solder joints, silver Mica disease(especially with the static), test the tubes, check resistor values, must be within 20% of listed value. Other caps are suspect also. Suspect
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:13 am

Hi NY.
First, did the radio work somewhat before you recapped it?
If it did, I'd suspect a wiring mistake. In that case best to trace every cap you replaced. Enlarge the schematic, then use a yellow highlighter to mark the diagram, verifying that every wire is as it should be.

This is a good reason to replace one cap at a time, then test if the set worked before. That way, if you foul up or have a bad part, you will know exactly which one it was. If you replace 20 caps all at one time, then you have no idea where to look, and troubleshooting can take a while to do.

If the set didn't work, best to change the filters first, then test. Usually you will be able to receive something. Then continue to change the paper caps one at a time.

Now, if you are positive everything is correct, and all you get a re static crashes, I'd suspect the Silver Migration disease.

Watch my video and see if this is your symptom. Yes, you may be able to receive for a few seconds, then it goes away into the crashes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWKEDhUiOEo&NR=1

The only way to repair that is to replace the caps inside the IF can. It can be done if you work slow and careful.
Show us aphoto of what your IF can looks like. Some are easier than others.

There are a couple of tutorials online, but I'd suggest that you check everything else first. It would be a waste of time if you recapped the IF cans, and the issue turned out to be a wiring mistake Shocked
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top