1962 RCA issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1962 RCA issue

Post by firemedic on Sun May 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Howdy I'm a newbie to this.
I'm restoring a 1962 Victor 3VF305 console stereo which mostly works well. The phonograph needs a little help though. Among other issues. It has a double stylus, side by side. I've never seen the like. I have tube amp experience but know nothing about servicing these things so any advice would be greatly appreciated, esp. how am I going to "convert" this to play regular LPs?

firemedic

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Re: 1962 RCA issue

Post by magic brain on Wed May 25, 2011 4:51 pm

No need to "convert" anything in order to play LP's. You have an RCA 200 series stereo cartridge and assuming it is in working condition, it will easily play modern LP's and it will play them well. I have several players that use that cartridge and they sound great. Just make sure you get yourself a fresh needle for it.

magic brain

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by John Maxson on Thu May 26, 2011 12:13 pm

I have seen these double stylusses, How do they work? I searched through an old box of needles at a dealer, Roberts Electronics, New London, CT, and found a bunch of them. I found the ones that I needed.

John Maxson

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by firemedic on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:52 am

It's quite simple actually. The tabs on the side are indicators, which you slide over to select the stylus you want to use, in my case there is one for LPs and a different one for 78s. When one is positioned properly to play records, the other is tucked safely up and away.
The source of my confusion was that neither stylus was selected, so both were able to play on the record at the same time. It sounded awful. Once I figured it out, it worked great.

firemedic

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top