1941 Zenith 6A05 back from the dead

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1941 Zenith 6A05 back from the dead

Post by Bkmcclarty on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:08 am

I found this in a the back of a little antique shop last April. I powered it up in the store,(foolishly) and was able to tune in a local station somewhat. Once I got it home and found all the dry rotted wiring, I'm amazed it didn't flame out.

Someone had tried to work on it in the past, based on the five miles of electrical tape and wire nuts holding things together. I finished replacing all the wiring yesterday, all the components checked out good, including the original paper caps. Considering the build-up of dust that I cleaned from the workings of this radio, I think this is the first time this has played in a very long time. Even the speaker and the "wave magnet" antenna are in excellent condition. The automatic buttons were already tuned to local stations, so this machine is not far from it's original home. It plays beautifully, no hum, no static.

This is my first restoration in 6 years, having lost my previous collection, along with my shop, tools, equipment, and house. I'd say this is a great starting piece for the new collection.

I have not mastered the art of posting images, so I put these pictures up on flickr if you care to see them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58652296@N07/5380146919

BMc

Bkmcclarty

Number of posts: 3
Registration date: 2010-04-18

Back to top Go down

test

Post by Bkmcclarty on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:30 am

Bkmcclarty

Number of posts: 3
Registration date: 2010-04-18

Back to top Go down

Re: 1941 Zenith 6A05 back from the dead

Post by bill57 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Great find!! Looks really good for a 1941. Even the grill cloth looks good...Someone must have taken really good care of it. The perfect size mantel clock also looks good on it. With the cabinet in that good of shape it should last for many more years.

bill57

Number of posts: 85
Registration date: 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: 1941 Zenith 6A05 back from the dead

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:57 am

Very nice looking set, but, I highly reccommend that you replace all paper capacitors, and, electrolytics. They are not reliable, and, are trouble waiting to happen.
They were a very large problem with these old radios, plus, now, the electrolytics are likely leaky, and, waiting to break down. You could do alot of dammage to this set,
Looks like an interesting style in very nice shape.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill
Admin
Admin

Number of posts: 3528
Registration date: 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top