Go down

Telephone Tidbits Empty Telephone Tidbits

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Email I recieved:
90# on your telephone

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying
himself as an AT&T Service Technician (could also be Telus) who was
conducting a test on the telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test
I should touch nine (9), zero (0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.
Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#,
you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which
enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.
I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local
jails/prisons. DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE...
The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with
EVERYONE I KNOW.

After checking with Verizon they also said it was true, so
do not dial 90# for anyone !!!!!

I dialed '0' to check this out, and the operator confirmed that this was correct,
so please pass it on... (l also checked out snopes.com and truthorfiction.com This is true, and also applies to cell phones!)

PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW
----------------------------------------------

I am asking each of you to consider doing the following when you are talking on the phone to any U.S. company's customer service representative that is based in a foreign country (like India ). I have done this twice and it works! Any time you call an 800 number (for a credit card, banking, charter communications, health and other insurance, computer help desk, etc ) and you find that you're talking to a foreign customer service representative (perhaps in India , Philippines, etc), please consider doing the following:

After you connect and you realize that the customer service representative is not from the USA (you can always ask if you are not sure about the accent), please, very politely ( very politely - this is not about trashing other cultures ) say, "I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in the United States of America ." The rep might suggest talking to his/her manager, but, again, politely say, "Thank you, but I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in the USA ."

YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY CONNECTED to a rep in the USA . That's the rule. It takes less than one minute to have your call re-directed to the USA . Tonight when I got redirected to a USA rep, I asked again to make sure - and yes, she was from Fort Lauderdale ..
If tomorrow every US citizen who has to make such a call, and then requests a U.S. rep, imagine how that would ultimately impact the number of US jobs that would need to be created ASAP. Imagine what would happen if every US citizen insisted on talking to only US phone reps from this day on. If I tell 10 people to consider this and you tell 10 people to consider doing this - see what I mean...it becomes an exercise in viral marketing 101.

Remember - the goal here is to restore jobs back here at home - not to be abrupt or rude to a foreign phone rep.

You may even get correct answers, good advice, and solutions to your problem in real English If you agree, please tell 10 people you know, and ask them to tell 10 people they know....etc...etc...
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Telephone Tidbits Empty Re: Telephone Tidbits

Post by harold wright on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:38 pm

Cliff

Looks like I am late replying to your post but I just now found it. Good info about crooks using the phone to scam us. I get a lot of telemarket calls in spite of supposedly being on a do not call list. Annoying.
I am reminded of a famous wood carver in Ozark mountains (20 yrs ago) that had people standing in line for his art work. He did not have a phone. The reporter interviewing him was astounded. His reason went something like this--"I do not want a bell in my house that any idiot from anywhere in world can ring at any time of day or night". Some days I almost agree.

Harold

harold wright

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Great info- thanks.

I usually ask the person, either here are there, to repeat their name and write it down. Sometimes I make a joke about it. (It's amazing how many women got their name from their grandmother.) Maybe I'll also ask about the weather. This establishes a rapport and makes the person a lot more congenial and willing to work with me.

If I get someone I really can't understand I'll ask for someone I can. A lot of them are named 'Mike' for some reason.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Resistance is Futile wrote:

I am asking each of you to consider doing the following when you are talking on the phone to any U.S. company's customer service representative that is based in a foreign country (like India ). I have done this twice and it works! Any time you call an 800 number (for a credit card, banking, charter communications, health and other insurance, computer help desk, etc ) and you find that you're talking to a foreign customer service representative (perhaps in India , Philippines, etc), please consider doing the following:

After you connect and you realize that the customer service representative is not from the USA (you can always ask if you are not sure about the accent), please, very politely ( very politely - this is not about trashing other cultures ) say, "I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in the United States of America ." The rep might suggest talking to his/her manager, but, again, politely say, "Thank you, but I'd like to speak to a customer service representative in the USA ."

YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY CONNECTED to a rep in the USA . That's the rule. It takes less than one minute to have your call re-directed to the USA . Tonight when I got redirected to a USA rep, I asked again to make sure - and yes, she was from Fort Lauderdale ..
If tomorrow every US citizen who has to make such a call, and then requests a U.S. rep, imagine how that would ultimately impact the number of US jobs that would need to be created ASAP. Imagine what would happen if every US citizen insisted on talking to only US phone reps from this day on. If I tell 10 people to consider this and you tell 10 people to consider doing this - see what I mean...it becomes an exercise in viral marketing 101.

I had to call HP computers a few years back. I needed to ship them a computer under warranty. I got the India help line,you could tell by the acent. The first time I called it took an hour to get them to get it set up and for them to ship me a box to send it back. When I got it the box was labeled to be returned to someone else so I called back. After an hour I started to ask for someone up the chain. It got so bad trying to explain it to them they finally sent me to a person here in the US. She apologized and got the correct info set up in less than 5 minutes. She said that the language barrier was a big problem. She explained to me that if I had trouble again to tell the person I was hard of hearing and could not understand them. They would patch you to the US then no questions asked. So if you get someone at a place just tell them you are have bad hearing and need to speak to someone without a accent. I have found it works. If you can't understand them , you are having a hard time hearing what they say.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Great info.Iallways ask for a USA rep.Cant stand try to talk to someone you cant understand.Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:44 pm

When a stranger calls and asks for anything I develop a language barrier quickly. I can only say words two letters in length, or goodbye.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:05 pm

There's a great video and I wish I could find it. The guy answers the phone and says there is a murder. What follows is 5 minutes of the funniest dialogue I've ever heard. Who is he? Does he know anything? Why is he calling? Stuff like that. The amazing part is that the caller stays on the phone while it gets more and more involved. It is a scream.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:17 am

terrydec wrote:There's a great video and I wish I could find it. The guy answers the phone and says there is a murder. What follows is 5 minutes of the funniest dialogue I've ever heard. Who is he? Does he know anything? Why is he calling? Stuff like that. The amazing part is that the caller stays on the phone while it gets more and more involved. It is a scream.

That was Tom Mabe who did that. There is stuff out there, do a search for Tom Mabe and telemarketer and it should come up.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Found it. However I'm not going to post a link because it does denigrate a certain group of people.

It is freakin' funny though.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum